2010 World Cup Winner España

12 Jul 2010


I wont lie, I have a slightly sore head from yesterdays WC final, which is not a wise considering I have my sisters graduation to celebrate tomorrow! (very muy proud of her) I was rooting for Spain, largely due to many of their players have played for Liverpool Football Club and are currently playing for us, with the likes of Torres and Pepe Reina. Although I support England, my loyalties have always largely been Club before Country, this was tough seeing as Dirk Kuyt who was on the Netherlands side, also plays for Liverpool as well, and I also did not want to see him on the losing side. The final itself was abit of let down and not a thrilling affair sadly. Que grande España!?!!?! Not so much! Spain had scored only eight goals in seven matches, winning each of their four knock-out stage games by a score of 1-0 and setting a new record for the fewest tallies ever by a winner. I think this fact culminated this World Cup overall, football and goal's wise this World Cup has not lived up to past others and wont be as memorable, however South Africans can be proud of themselves after the country staged a successful World Cup tournament, never before have I seen so many Africans, of all colours, united as a continent watching not just South Africa but the event itself. 

My lasting memory of this World Cup will be the Vuvuzela's, the jabulani ball and Paul the psychic Octopus, whom correctly predicted the results of the seven matches that Germany were involved in: five victories against Australia, Ghana, England, Argentina and Uruguay plus defeats to Serbia and Spain, and the final itself. 

Countdown now to The World Cup in Brazil where the 2014 event will be staged. Four years seems so long away, makes me wonder what life will bring till then. For now :-) keep your eyes peeled for the GIVEAWAY I will be hosting over the next few days! 


LIVERPOOL'S - PEPE REINA LEADING THE CELEBRATIONS 

Got to love the fella! Pepe Reina - The IPOD in one hand and the drink in the other. 

10 Comments:

  1. Congrats to Spain winning the World Cup, I know they were one of your favourites of the tournament!

    I agree the WC overall could have been better, but I will still miss it.

    Look forward to the give-away, how exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to miss the World Cup!

    I take it your a Liverpool Football fan? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! I know how much you love the World Cup, but all I can think of saying is "good riddance!" ;o)

    The hubs is a HUGE Liverpool fan too! That'll start up soon too...so it's never really over, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Maddy believe it or not I know how you feel, I grew up in a household where football was on all weekend. I use to hate watching it as a kid, it put me to sleep.

    Then from the age of 14 I was able to meet some of the players and experience going to some memorable matches and it's all just changed from then. :)

    You've got a break from football for a whole month until the new season of football starts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your sister! What did she major in?

    Haha looks like they had a hell of a fly back home :D

    This World Cup has been so controversial, but nevertheless I'm glad with the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i remember at first i was not a big fan of football. being from Haiti that's what i heard people talk about the most. but experiencing what it meant by how my family watched it changed my perspective. (i wrote a full post about it here if you want to read it). i still didn't understand some rules (and i'm still learning) but i just loved the emotions it could conjure up from the players and fans (including me). although i wasn't rooting for Spain, i'm happy that they got to bring the Cup home for the first time. i just wish it wasn't so far (2014!). i'll be in college by then.

    Paul the Octopus... no comment. i stopped Googling him when he made the Germany vs. Argentina prediction and then there was the Uruguay vs Germany prediction (for third place) from him. GOSH.

    i'm going to be following more of football from now on though.. at least as much as i can. i live in the US now so it's a bit more different.

    PS. i decided to follow your blog because i wanted to, not because of the contest :D

    a life of stuff

    ReplyDelete
  7. I´m not a football fan but I was hooked during the final set of the games. Enhorabuena España indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited for 2014. I'm a big Real Madrid fan, so I was very proud of Spain. The whole series was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loooooove your blog! I'm a new follwer!=)

    Off The Wardrobe - stop by any time!

    ReplyDelete

 

All rights reserved © The Guilty Hyena + Taste is the enemy of creativeness +

Created since 2010